Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Gifts - Keep or Return?

Have you ever received a gift and thought I don't need this?  Sure, we all have.

I learned an important lesson early in my marriage.  My mother-n-law and I were shopping.  We came to the make-up counter.  As we were looking at the beautiful packaging of the gift sets, my mother-n-law asked me, "What do you think of these?"

My answer, "I think they are a waste of money."

You see I was use to buying inexpensive make-up and the thought of paying the price asked for this make-up seemed beyond my ability.  Little did I know that she had already purchased me one of the sets for Christmas.  So when I opened the package we had a good laugh.  Do you know, I actually enjoyed using the make-up she gave me!

Do you remember when cordless telephones were new?  I had a 3 year old and another baby on the way.  We had a telephone in the kitchen with a long cord that would reach from the kitchen into the living room.  I had all I needed!

Christmas again and my mother-n-law thought a cordless telephone would be just what I would need with a new baby and a 3 year old.  Again, I thought, why do I need this?  I have a perfectly good telephone that reaches just about anywhere I need it to.  Thankfully out of respect I did not say anything, nor did I return the phone.  My husband and I set the phone up.

You guessed it.  It wasn't long that I discovered a cordless telephone was a great invention and it was very useful when feeding a baby on one side and holding the other child on the other side!

Isn't it funny how we are quick to think we know exactly what we need or don't need.  But there may be people in our lives who have lived longer or know a little more or just might have a good idea, that if we will take the time to try something new we discover that it brings good into our lives.

I am so thankful we have a Creator, Almighty God, who created us in His image.  He knows our weaknesses and our strengths.  He knows our needs before we know our needs.  He has already made provision for our needs.  If we will but ask Him, He is ready to give.

Because God is love and He desired a family He created us.  He knew Adam would fail and He already had a plan in place that would give His creation another chance.  He sent His Son, Jesus, as a gift to the world.  Anyone who would repent and believe that Jesus paid the debt for their sins through His death, burial and resurrection would be saved.  Romans 8 tells us that if we believe in our heart, and confess with our mouth that Jesus is LORD that we will have eternal life.  Jesus was God's gift to the world.  Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life and no one comes to the Father except by Jesus.

With the believing upon Jesus we receive the cleansing of our sins by His blood and then we are given His Spirit to live inside of us.  We are made a new creation in Him.

Jesus gift to those would believe was His Holy Spirit.  Now the Holy Spirit has gifts to give as well.  Next week we will look at one of those gifts Holy Spirit has given.

Will you trust the One who Created you to give you good gifts that will benefit you?  Or will you decide, I don't really need that gift?  I am doing just fine without the gift.

I hope you will join me next week as we look at one of those gifts.  I hope you will trust and honor the LORD and receive His gift with joy.  Even if it is with reluctancy, I know you will be like I was with my mother-n-laws gifts, you will be glad you received the Holy Spirit's gifts!

Until next week, be blessed in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Be made strong through your union with Jesus.
Kathy 

No comments:

Post a Comment